CACCI was launched in Senegal on October 17, 2022. A review of Senegal’s climate change initiatives and ambitions has been conducted as well as a preliminary adaptation pathway analysis to provide evidence on the adaptation actions needed to reverse the effects of climate change on growth, employment, food security, and poverty. Both the country profile and the adaptation pathways will be further refined with additional data and comments from local partners. In collaboration with Senegal’s Ecological Monitoring Center (CSE), a synthesis of the country NDC and MRV is also being done to develop an integrated results framework and identify key performance indicators. Metrics for measuring the geospatial indicators including GHG emissions are being developed. A GIS and remote sensing-based methane estimation has already been conducted for both Senegal and Rwanda.
- Centre de Suivi Écologique (CSE or Center for Ecological Monitoring)
- Michigan State University Food Security Group (FSG)
- June 2023
- June 19–20, 2023, Dr. Getaw Tadesse participated in a roundtable organized in Addis Ababa by the African Union Commission (AUC) to discuss the operationalization of the African Union Climate Change and Resilient Development Strategy. AKADEMIYA2063 was recognized as a technical partner for the development and implementation of the Strategy’s M&E system. Further details will be to be discussed in subsequent meetings with the AUC.
- June 7-9, 2023, a 3 day write shop took place with members of the Ghana CACCI Technical Working Group.
- Working group members provided input and/or feedback various CACCI deliverables during the 3 day work shop (including the mitigation and adaptation policy and program best practices systematic review methodology, mitigation and adaptation ext-ante analysis and capacity needs assessment.
- Met with representatives of the National Development Planning Commission to design the data collection approach for the Capacity Gap Analyses.
- FGDs in selected Metropolitan, Municipal, District Assemblies) in the three ecological zones of Ghana to take place third week July 2023.
- Helped two meetings with researchers across the ANAPRI Network to plan the CACCI session for the 2023 ANAPRI Conference.
- May 2023
- May 4, 2023, Attended a virtual meeting held jointly between A2063 and ANAPRI to align on the requirements of AFMAR. Each country to complete a consolidated result framework. Countries to follow the Rwanda draft report
- Draft methodology for Mitigation and Adaptation Policy and Program Best Practices systematic review shared with Ghana CACCI Steering Work Group in May 2023.
- Desk review of capacity needs assessment completed.
- December 2022
- The CACCI-Senegal project steering committee, consisting of AKADEMIYA2063, the Centre de Suivi Écologique (CSE), Senegal’s National Committee for Adaptation to Climate Change (COMNACC), and the country’s Directorate of the Environment and Listed Establishments (DEEC), held its first meeting on Dec. 1 in Dakar. The steering committee discussed next steps and updated the CACCI project roadmap for Senegal.
- October 2022
- AKADEMIYA2063 and the Centre de Suivi Écologique (CSE or Center for Ecological Monitoring) held a CACCI launch event in Senegal on October 17 with attendance and buy-in from multiple stakeholders. The launch was attended by the Ministry of Environment and Ministry of Agriculture; USAID, IRDC, and IFAD; the National Institute of Pedology and the Directorate of Water and Forest; the National Committee for Adaptation to Climate Change (COMNACC); and representatives from universities, research and media organizations. A CACCI project agreement between AKADEMIYA2063 and CSE has been signed, and an MOU is in progress.