CACCI-Asia’s work in Tajikistan focuses on establishing a working NDC Secretariat under the Committee for Environmental Protection under the Government of the Republic of Tajikistan (CEP) to support the government in implementing its NDC. The Secretariat was formed in July/August 2022 and its structure and role were presented to key stakeholders at an inception workshop on August 5, 2022. A draft paper on Mainstreaming agricultural development strategies for NDC implementation in Tajikistan was prepared and is currently under review.
Relatedly, CEP in collaboration with USAID, NDC Partnership, and IFPRI held a workshop on March 9, 2023, focused on mainstreaming sectors like agriculture and water resources for NDC implementation. Another paper on mapping relevant actors and players which support NDC implementation in Tajikistan has been finalized and submitted. The Secretariat plans several capacity-strengthening activities, consultations, and learning products for this year. At COP27, the Tajikistan Pavilion had the honor of hosting the launch of CACCI-Asia.
- Committee for Environmental Protection under the Government of Tajikistan (CEP)
- Michigan State University Food Security Group (FSG)
- International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI)
- NDC Partnership
- May 2023
- May 16-17, 2023, Delegations from Central Asian countries took part in the Central Asian Conference on Climate Change (CACCC-2023) in Tajikistan. The conference focused on drawing consensus on the following steps to implement the Paris Agreement and measures to prevent climate change in the region. The Deputy Chairman of the CEP, Mavlodod Abdulkodir, provided welcome remarks.
- May 18-20, 2023, delegations from Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Azerbaijan, and Switzerland participated in the Global Environment Facility’s Constituency Meeting in Dushanbe, Tajikistan. The meeting aimed to discuss issues related to coordination, access to information, and project implementation within the Global Environmental Facility. Sino Tohirzoda, Head of the NDC Secretariat under CEP, attended the event.
- Planned Methane Assessment Study in Tajikistan. A methane assessment study has been planned in Tajikistan which will assess the impacts of methane emissions and the benefits of mitigation and adaptation strategies for different sectors. It will be a useful knowledge product for the Tajikistan government to guide the dialogues and deliberations on joining the Global Methane Pledge.
- January 2023
- Tajikistan Evaluation and Analysis Activity Launch Workshop was held on Jan 25, 2023 in Dushanbe, Tajikistan. Sino Tohirzoda presented Implementing Climate Action in Tajikistan: the CACCI ASIA Approach at the workshop. The presentation focused on support provided under the USAID funded CACCI-Asia and related activities, including the inception workshop to introduce the NDC Secretariat, participation in COP27, and research papers being developed under the project. Sino also highlighted the responsibilities of the Head of the NDC Secretariat and outreach and promotion efforts by the Committee on Environmental Protection (CEP).
- The official launch of Tajikistan’s CACCI program took place on January 25-26. Sino Tohirzoda, the head of Tajikistan’s NDC Secretariat, a unit of the Committee for Environmental Protection (CEP), offered a presentation on the integration of Tajikistan’s agriculture development strategy with its NDC implementation plan. Tohirzoda also presented on CEP’s work at USAID’s annual meeting in Dushanbe at the end of January.
- October 2022
- Presented CACCI approach and ongoing work in Tajikistan at a Regional Workshop On Climate Change Issues held in Cambodia.
- August 2022
- Stocktaking and initial assessments began in Tajikistan.