CACCI in Zambia was officially launched on September 2, 2022 by the Minister of Green Economy and Environment. ANAPRI, through its member center IAPRI, is supporting the Multi-stakeholder Climate Change Technical Committee (MSCCTC) to enhance the development and implementation of the country’s NDC and NAP. ANAPRI/IAPRI is providing technical support to the MSCCTC to develop a more realistic and trackable NDC and NAP Implementation Results Frameworks. This involves providing guidance on the choice of indicators and metrics, baselining of the final set of selected indicators and ex ante analysis to identify pathways to achieve mitigation and adaptation targets with attention to socioeconomic impacts and tradeoffs. In addition, ANAPRI/IAPRI is helping to strengthen the capacities needed for data gathering and analysis and support for stakeholder coordination.
- The Ministry of Green Economy and Environment
- Zambia Environmental Management Agency
- African Network of Agricultural Policy Research Institutions (ANAPRI)
- Michigan State University Food Security Group (FSG)
- June 2023
- June 5 and June 7, 2023, The Zambia CACCI technical team held an ad hoc meeting to review the NDC and NAP results frameworks. The team developed recommendations for strengthening the two results frameworks.
- June 15th, 2023, The Zambia CACCI technical team held a validation meeting of the Integrated Results Framework (IRF) of the NDC and NAP at Taj Pamodzi hotel in Lusaka. The meeting was attended by key relevant ministries, civil society and the private sector.
- The CACCI technical team participated in a series of virtual meetings organized by the ANAPRI to develop a concept note for a CACCI session to be held during the ANAPRI 10th Annual Conference.
- June 29, 2023, the Zambia CACCI technical team held a stakeholders meeting to establish data clusters and identify cluster leads to help with data provision for tracking NDC and NAP implementation indicators. The meeting was held at Mika hotel in Lusaka.
- May 2023
- May 4, 2023, a virtual meeting was held jointly between A2063 and ANAPRI to align on the requirements of AFMAR. Each country to complete a consolidated result framework. Countries to follow the Rwanda draft report.
- May 2 -5, 2023, IAPRI participated in NAP indicator metrics review meeting organized by the MGEE and Global Water Partnership.
- May 17, 2023, CACCI was recognized as a partner during the launch of the NDC implementation framework.
- April 2023
- The Zambia CACCI technical team (comprising technical staff from Ministry of Green Economy and Environment and IAPRI) met the Consultant developing the NDC Result Framework on April 12th, 2023 and provided input in the costing of activities in the NDC under the agricultural sector. The NDC Framework and its costing was presented at the validation workshop slated for April 25, 2023.
- Zambia CACCI technical team participated in the validation of the NDC implementation framework for Zambia. The validation workshop was organized by the Ministry of Green Economy and Environment on April 25, 2023 with financial support from Zambia Environmental Management Agency (ZEMA).
- The Zambia CACCI technical team participated virtually in the pre-scoping mission for the nature, people, and climate investment programme hosted by the Ministry of Green Economy and Environment on 18th April, 2023.
- The Zambia CACCI technical team participated virtually, in the Ghana CACCI Launch and outreach event that was held from April 24 – 25, 2023 in Ghana
- The CACCI technical team participated in the review of Zambia Feed the Future (FtF) implementation plan and selection of FtF zone of influence. The meeting was organized by USAID Zambia mission on April 27, 2023 in Lusaka.
- March 2023
- IAPRI team participated in an engagement meeting of the National Charcoal Taskforce (NCTF) sub-committee Chairpersons where IAPRI is chairing the sustainable charcoal production sub-committee. The NCTF is coordinated and hosted by the USAID’s supported Alternatives to Charcoal (A2C) project. The meeting was held at A2C offices on 1st March 2023. The meeting was held to get updates on progress made by each sub-committee and to also develop a work plan for the NCTF for 2023.
- Zambia CACCI technical team (comprising technical staff from Ministry of Green Economy and Environment and IAPRI) participated in providing the final input in reviewing and refining Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for the Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC) on March 7th, 2023. The NDCs Implementation Framework will be launched on April 6th, 2023 at the venue to be advised.
- The Zambia CACCI technical team participated in the workshop to validate the revised Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning System framework for the National Adaptation Plan (NAP) process in Zambia. The workshop was held on March 15th, 2023 at Ibis Gardens in Chibombo district.
- The Zambia CACCI technical team conducted a survey on some members of the Technical Working Committee on Climate Change to assess their capacity building needs on NDCs and NAP under the CACCI Project. The exercise was conducted from 9th to 23rd March, 2023. The input from this activity will feed in the Capacity Needs Assessments Report for Zambia under the CACCI Project.
- IAPRI took part in the commemoration of the International Day of Forests themed, Forest and Health and Launch of the African Forest Landscape Restoration Initiative (AFR100) in Zambia on March 21st, 2023 at Kenneth Kaunda International Conference in Lusaka. The Initiative targets to plant four (4) million trees across the country especially in degraded areas where trees have been cut. The tree restoration process is one of the natural climate solutions used to reduce the impact of desertification, supports ecosystems and helps remove CO2 from the atmosphere.
- IAPRI received a formal invitation from the US Embassy and the USAID supported A2C Project to participate in a VIP event to be graced by Mr. Douglas Emhoff, the Second Gentleman and husband of the U.S. Vice President Kamala Harris. Mr. Douglas Emhoff will announce the U.S. Government’s $1 million investment in clean cooking fuel and technologies in Zambia. The event is slated for March 31, 2023.
- February 2023
- IAPRI and Ministry of Green Economy and Environment (MGEE) signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with IAPRI. MoU covers collaboration with the Ministry on broad areas of climate change. MoU facilitated by CACCI support to Zambia.
- IAPRI was invited to participate in a full day workshop organized by the Ministry of Green Economy and Environment to review the NDC indicators framework on February 3, 2023. This process feeds into CACCI support to the Multi-stakeholder Climate Change Technical Working Group
- IAPRI invited to attend the launch of an online weather information portal, the Zambia Drought Management System (ZADMS), on February 20th, 2023 at Radisson Blu hotel in Lusaka. The online portal was launched by the Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Agriculture. ZADMS is aimed at providing information to help policy makers and other stakeholders on weather information services in order for Zambia to enhance its resilience to climate change.
- January 2023
- The Zambia country CACCI Technical Team from IAPRI and MGEE met on January 31, 2023 for a full day meeting to refine and finalize the country workplan, draft the country profile report and the NDC and NAP stakeholder map.
- November 2022
- Dr. Antony Chapoto, ANAPRI’s lead for CACCI, served as a member of the Zambia delegation to COP27. In addition, USAID invited Zambia’s Minister of Green Economy and Environment, Honorable Collins Nzovu, to be one of the high-level panelists at the CACCI Global Launch, held in the NDCP Pavilion on November 14.
- September 2022
- On September 9, CACCI was launched in Zambia under the leadership of the Ministry of Green Economy and Environment. The launch featured participation by multiple ministries, USAID and other donors, the private sector, and civil society. ReNAPRI played a key role behind the scenes in bringing stakeholders together for this event. Working groups are now established, and CACCI is moving quickly into the stock-taking exercise that is the first step in each CACCI country.
- August 2022
- The public launch of CACCI-Zambia took place on August 19 in collaboration with the Zambian Inter-Ministerial Working Group.
- July 2022
- CACCI starts work in Zambia as a pilot country, as was announced at the UN Climate Change Conference in Glasgow (COP26).
Group Photo of Participants at the Launch of ZADMs, February 20th, 2023
Participants reviewing the NDCs indicators and M&E Framework on February 3 February, 2023 at Mika Convention Centre, Lusaka